Tuesday 19 June 2012

Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Medi-Clinic (Private Sector)

Summary
 Today was very similar to yesterday, we began with round of the Neonatal ICU, Pediatric ICU, and Pediatric Ward in Medi-Clinic.  We then did patient assessments at a rehabilitation clinic, Care Cure Clinic: Victoria Gardens, and a psychiatric clinic, Optima.  It was a frustrating day personally because of the amount of information I did not learn due to everything being spoken in Afrikaans.

Detailed Account 
Much like yesterday we did rounds through the Neonatal ICU, Pediatric ICU, and Pediatric Ward today.  Luckily I was allowed in the Neonatal ICU today and the babies were minuscule, with hands as small as quarters.  Unfortunately I did little learning from this because Anna-Marie simply made notes about the children and reviewed their feeds.  We then went to the Pediatric areas and the same thing occurred.  I am extremely frustrated by this portion of the internship because I feel like a nuisance.  I simply just stand there doing nothing.  All of the other places I was introduced as an exchange student from America and if English was known by both parties English was spoken.  If English was not known then the dietician would translate conversations and explain what they were doing or the plan of action.  At Medi-Clinic every person there is able to speak English yet no one does and at the end of each ward round I stand awkwardly listening, but not understanding, to a personal conversation between the dietician and a nurse.  Don't get me wrong I think the dietician is so extremely sweet when we are in the car and speaking in English but I am very frustrated by the way this section is run.

We then made our was to the Care Cure Clinic: Victoria Gardens to assess patients at a rehabilitation clinic.  One patient had lost the ability to swallow and we changed out her feeding tube that was inserted into her stomach.  We also checked in with the kitchen staff before going to a psychiatric institution, Optima Clinic.  We did a follow up with a patient who would be discharged soon, giving her an at home diet to follow.  Once again everything was spoken in Afrikaans and I was frustrated but that's life sometimes I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment